Friday, August 31, 2018

Did Jesus dislike the Torah?

Answered on Quora

As far as I can tell….Jesus believed that his teachings were consistent with the Torah.
Taken from the Sermon on the Mount -
“Think not that I came to destroy the law or the prophets; I came not to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass away from the law, till all things be accomplished” (Mt. 5:17-18)
He did not set out to form a new religion and very much respected the Torah. His main grievance was not with the Torah itself but with the religious elites who had been corrupted and who in many cases were defiling the Temple by their actions. He believed in reforming a hierarchical system that was not representing the essence of Judaism. I believe that on this ground alone he had a very strong argument.

No comments: