Sunday, September 13, 2026

Abortion: A Difficult Compromise Between Principle and Pragmatism

My position on abortion begins with a recognition that this is not a problem that can be resolved simply by choosing between two opposing political camps. I support a woman's right to choose whether to continue a pregnancy, but I do not regard that right as unlimited or morally uncomplicated. I believe there is a legitimate point at which the interests of the developing fetus acquire sufficient moral weight that society is justified in placing restrictions on abortion.

For me, that point is approximately three months following conception. This position is, admittedly, a compromise. It does not fit neatly into the conventional categories of either the pro-choice or pro-life movement. I am firmly opposed to the idea that the state should compel a woman to carry every pregnancy to term regardless of her circumstances. At the same time, I am uncomfortable with the proposition that the moral status of the fetus is irrelevant throughout pregnancy and that abortion should therefore remain unrestricted at every stage.

The difficulty is that abortion involves two competing moral considerations, both of which deserve serious recognition.

On one side is the autonomy of the woman—the right to make profoundly personal decisions concerning her own body, her health, her future, and the circumstances in which she brings a child into the world. Pregnancy is not an abstract biological event. It can profoundly affect a woman's physical health, psychological well-being, relationships, economic circumstances, education, career, and entire trajectory through life. To compel someone to continue a pregnancy against her will is therefore an extraordinarily consequential exercise of state power.

On the other side is the developing human life itself. Whatever one's philosophical position concerning precisely when personhood begins, it is difficult to regard a late-stage fetus as morally equivalent to an undifferentiated collection of cells. As pregnancy progresses, the fetus develops increasingly sophisticated biological structures and capacities, and the moral considerations surrounding its destruction consequently become more difficult to dismiss.

This is where I find myself uncomfortable with absolute positions on either side.

The most uncompromising versions of the pro-life position can underestimate the profound moral significance of forcing a woman to continue an unwanted or dangerous pregnancy. Conversely, the most uncompromising versions of the pro-choice position can sometimes treat the developing fetus as though it has no moral significance whatsoever, regardless of how far a pregnancy has progressed.

Neither extreme adequately captures the complexity of the issue.

My support for a roughly three-month period following conception is therefore not based on the belief that a magical moral transformation occurs on a particular day. Biology does not operate according to the political or legal calendar. There is no precise moment at which something morally insignificant suddenly becomes morally significant.

Rather, a three-month boundary represents a pragmatic attempt to establish a point at which the competing interests should be weighed differently.

Early in pregnancy, the argument for preserving a woman's autonomy is, in my view, considerably stronger. The pregnancy is at an earlier developmental stage, and the state has a weaker justification for overriding the woman's wishes.

As development progresses, however, the moral argument becomes increasingly complicated. The developing fetus becomes more biologically organized and increasingly recognizably human in its characteristics. At some point, society has a legitimate interest in protecting that developing life.

The precise boundary is therefore necessarily somewhat conventional. But the fact that a boundary is imperfect does not mean that boundaries are unnecessary. Law frequently has to establish thresholds in circumstances where nature itself provides no precise dividing line.

For essentially the same reason, I am opposed to late-stage abortion except where compelling circumstances make it necessary.

The phrase "partial-birth abortion" has been used in political debate in highly charged ways, and I recognize that terminology itself can obscure rather than illuminate the underlying medical circumstances. My concern is with late-term procedures in which a pregnancy has progressed substantially and the fetus has consequently acquired greater moral significance.

I would therefore support restrictions on such procedures, while recognizing important exceptions.

If continuing the pregnancy presents a serious threat to the mother's life, for example, the moral calculus changes dramatically. There can be circumstances in which there is no genuinely satisfactory outcome and where terminating the pregnancy becomes the least harmful available option. Similarly, catastrophic fetal abnormalities or other extraordinary medical circumstances can create situations in which rigid rules become morally indefensible.

The principle I would apply is that the later the pregnancy, the stronger the justification required for terminating it. That strikes me as a reasonable middle ground between two propositions that are both difficult to reject entirely: that women should possess meaningful control over their reproductive lives, and that developing human life acquires increasing moral significance as pregnancy progresses.

Ultimately, I regard abortion as one of the clearest examples of a moral tradeoff. There are issues in which the morally correct course seems relatively obvious. Abortion is not one of them.

Here, two legitimate values collide: individual autonomy and the preservation of developing human life. Neither can simply be wished away by declaring the other irrelevant.

This is why I find the polarization surrounding abortion somewhat misleading. The political debate often presents the issue as though there are only two possible positions: unrestricted abortion on one side and an absolute prohibition on the other.

But most people, when confronted with sufficiently difficult circumstances, recognize exceptions and qualifications. Even many people who describe themselves as pro-life acknowledge circumstances in which abortion may be justified. Likewise, many people who describe themselves as pro-choice recognize that there is a moral difference between an abortion performed very early in pregnancy and one performed much later.

Once those distinctions are acknowledged, the apparent gulf between the two positions becomes considerably narrower.

The real disagreement is often about where the boundary should be drawn, what circumstances justify crossing it, and how much weight should be assigned to the competing interests at different stages of pregnancy.

That is a much more interesting—and much more honest—conversation.

There is another aspect of my position that I find important to acknowledge. Although I support the woman's right to choose, I do so with something of a heavy heart.

My position is not based on the conviction that abortion is morally benign. Nor do I believe that the developing fetus has no moral value. Rather, my support for legal access is grounded substantially in utilitarian reasoning: given the competing interests, the consequences of prohibiting abortion, and the enormous consequences of compelling women to continue pregnancies against their wishes, I believe that allowing abortion within reasonable limits produces the better overall outcome.

But acknowledging the utilitarian basis of my position also means acknowledging its discomfort.

Utilitarianism can force us to make decisions that are rationally defensible while remaining emotionally or morally troubling. Something can be the least harmful available option without being entirely good.

That distinction matters to me. I do not believe that because abortion should be legally available, it should consequently be regarded as morally trivial. Nor do I believe that the existence of a legal right automatically settles the underlying ethical question.

There is a difference between saying "the state should permit this" and saying "there is nothing morally significant about this.".I support the first proposition without necessarily accepting the second. The  most important element of my position is that I recognize the limits of my own certainty.

Questions about when human life acquires moral status, whether biological humanity is equivalent to personhood, and what obligations society has toward developing life are ultimately philosophical as well as scientific questions. Science can tell us enormously about embryonic and fetal development, but it cannot by itself determine the moral value we should assign to those biological facts.

That requires philosophy, ethics, and ultimately individual judgment. For that reason, I am wary of people who speak about abortion as though the answer is self-evident and anyone who disagrees must therefore be either immoral or intellectually deficient.

Reasonable people can look at the same moral dilemma and assign different weights to autonomy, potential life, suffering, responsibility, and social consequences. The appropriate response to such disagreement should not be contempt.It should be humility.

My position, therefore, is neither that abortion is simply a matter of personal choice nor that the state should categorically prohibit it.

I believe women should have a meaningful right to choose, particularly during the early stages of pregnancy. I also believe that this right should become increasingly constrained as pregnancy progresses because the moral claim of the developing fetus becomes increasingly significant.

A roughly three-month period following conception represents, for me, a reasonable point at which the balance should begin to shift. Beyond that point, abortion should generally be restricted, with exceptions for circumstances in which the continuation of the pregnancy poses a serious threat to the mother or involves other extraordinary medical conditions for which reasonable alternatives are virtually nonexistent.

This is not a position born of certainty.  It is a position born of compromise.

I recognize the moral argument for protecting developing human life, but I also recognize the extraordinary consequences of subordinating a woman's autonomy to that principle. I therefore arrive at a position that attempts to preserve both values rather than pretending that one can simply eliminate the other.

Perhaps that is ultimately what makes abortion such a difficult moral question. It does not offer us the comfort of a completely clean answer. It forces us to choose between competing goods, competing rights, and competing forms of human suffering.

And perhaps the most honest position is to acknowledge that even when we believe we have chosen correctly, there can still be something deeply unsettling about the choice itself.

That is why I support the right to choose—but do so with a heavy heart, conscious that the position rests not on the belief that abortion is morally uncomplicated, but on the judgment that, within reasonable limits, preserving a woman's autonomy and minimizing overall harm is the least objectionable course available to us.


No comments: