1. Which was the first state to secede from the Union?
2. Who was President of the Confederacy?
3. In which city was the First White House of the Confederacy located?
4. Who was the greatest naval figure to emerge from the war?
5. Which ship sunk the Merrimac?
6. Why did Robert E. Lee side with the Confederacy?
7. Which noted abolitionist founded The New York Tribune?
8. Which city was the site of a major battle fought on July 22, 1864 ?
9. Which General was known as ‘Fighting Joe’?
10. Who said, “It is well that war is so terrible - we should grow too fond of it?”
11. How many men died in the Confederate attack on Fort Sumter?
12. Which General was described as Robert E.Lee’s war horse?
13. Which city in Virginia was General Grant’s headquarters from 1864-1865?
14. What were ‘Popskull’ and ‘Rifle Rock Knee’?
15. With which side did the Five Civilized tribes ally with?
Answers to U.S. Civil War I
1. South Carolina.
2. Jefferson Davis.
3. Montgomery, Alabama.
4. David Farragut.
5. The Monitor. It beat the Merrimac at the Battle of Hampton Roads in Virginia.
6. He could not bare to take up arms against his home state, Virginia.
7. Horace Greeley.
9. General Joseph Hooker.
10. Robert E. Lee.
11. Although this event initiated the war, there were no casualties on either side.
12. The Confederate General James Longstreet.
14. Civil War terms for ‘liquor’.
15. The Confederacy.