1. Who wrote the rules on which Modern Boxing is based?
2. Which famous boxer’s real name was Walker Smith?
3. What was the nickname of Tommy Hearns?
4. His nickname was ‘Boom Boom’. Who was he?
5. Put the following boxers in chronological order (earliest to latest) taking into account the first time they won the World Heavyweight Crown: Joe Louis, Jack Dempsey, Gene Tunney, Floyd Patterson, and Ezzard Charles?
6. How many times did Mohammed Ali and Joe Frazier meet in the rink?
7. What does the IBFstand for?
8. Who did Cassius Clay/Muhammed Ali beat to win each of his three World Heavyweight Titles?
9. Who was South Africa’s only heavyweight boxing champion?
10. Put the folowing divisions in order from lightest to heaviest weight: Bantamweight, Featherweight and Flyweight.?
11. Which boxer ended Larry Holmes’ unbeaten run?
12. Who is considered as Boxing’s First Heavyweight Champion?
13. How did Rocky Marciano die?
14. This Panamanian fighter was probably Sugar Ray Leonard’s greatest rival. Who was he?
15. Who dethroned Mike Tyson as Heavyweight Champion in 1990?
Answers to Boxing History
1. Sir John Sholto Douglas, 8th Marquis of Queensberry.
2. Sugar Ray Robinson.
3. The Hitman or the Detroit Hitman.
4. Ray Mancini.
5. Jack Dempsey (1919), Gene Tunney (1926), Joe Louis (1937), Ezzard Charles (1949), and Floyd Patterson (1956).
6. Three times. Ali won two and lost one. The third fight was the renowned ‘Thriller in Manila’.
7. International Boxing Federation. One of several governing bodies. The other governing bodies of boxing are the World Boxing Council (WBC), World Boxing Association (WBA), and the World Boxing Organization (WBO).
8. Sonny Liston (1964), George Foreman (1974), and Leon Spinks (1978).
9. Gerrie Coetzee (1983 - WBA Champion).
10. Flyweight, Bantamweight, and Featherweight.
11. Michael Spinks.
12. John L Sullivan.
13. He was killed in a plane crash in 1969. Marciano fought 49 fights during his professional carreer, winning all of them (43 by knockout). He was nicknamed the ‘Rock from Brockton’.
14. Roberto Duran.
15. James ‘Buster’ Douglas.